Chat application using SignalR
I know what is magic about now, its just that it somehow works and we don't know how.
So was this chat app a magic for me, until yesterday when i got to know how it works.
In this post we will try to create a chat application that works with approximately 10-12 lines of real code. ( i am sure we can write that in one line too ;) )
The chat recipe goes like this
SingnalR is solution for ASP.NET which lets communicate with client and the server-side with JS and ASP.NET.
- Create an empty MVC application ( Which is not really empty)
- Create a HomeController by right clicking on the controller folder
- Install latest Jquery and SignalR using Nuget
- Now create a model Communicator which inherits the Hub from SignalR just like this
- on the html side do this
- There's your tasty treat :)
Server-side: uses the dynamic object to call the function defined on the client side.
Client-side: client creates an object of the communicator object and call the function on server-side.
What signalR does is it posts the message in json format. you can use fiddler to capture the data sent on the wire.
This can be used for lots of stuffs too like CRUD on database using JS.